To never have to start a sentence with "I wish I would have..."

Dicslaimer:

The contents and opinions of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the Peace Corps or the U.S. government.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010


Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I’m thankful for my incredibly accepting and supportive family and friends. I’m thankful for the amazing experience I am having and the things I am learning about myself every day. I’m thankful for my new PC family, without them I’m not sure I’d still be in Uganda. This Thanksgiving was kind of tough. Even though we are here with a different culture, last Thursday we were able to bring a little bit of America to Uganda.

About half of my group spent the better part of 2 days cooking and preparing Thanksgiving dinner. Pies and stuffing were prepared Wednesday night and early Thursday morning we all woke up to watch our turkey get slaughtered. That’s right, we had our own turkey and one of the volunteers was brave enough to kill it for us. It definitely gave me a much greater appreciation for eating meat. A Ugandan taught us how to clean the bird and explained the significance of each part as it was removed. I have to admit, none of us knew how to cook a turkey much less how to cook a turkey when you don’t have the luxury of a big oven! We ended up cutting the meat into pieces and boiling it for a few hours before baking it. It turned out pretty good.

The menu included turkey, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce (someone brought back from the states!), mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, tuna salad, tomato basil salad, herb foccacia bread, pumpkin and apple pies, broccoli macaroni and cheese, fruit salad, pita bread and humus, pumpkin bread, and beets. Oh yea, and everything was homemade!

We ate dinner outside in the middle of the compound at three long tables, end to end to end. Before eating, everyone went around and said what they were thankful for. It was emotional and many tears were shed as people talked about their families back home as well as their new family here. I miss you all very much and it was difficult to be away on such a family oriented holiday but don’t worry, the people here are taking care of me. We are all taking care of each other.



Love everyone and miss you even more during this holiday season.

-Ash

1 comment:

  1. My dear daughter,
    I tear up as I read this, you being so far away from home on this holiday. And, I was feeling sorry for myself for having to work 12 hours! I am so thankful you had other volunteers to share the holiday with, and sounds as if you had quite the holiday. Looking forward to meeting your Peace Corp "Family", and spending Christmas and New Years with you!! We will be there before you know it...and sooo anticipating this trip. Will talk to you at least one more time before we leave....Love and miss you much...
    Momma

    ReplyDelete